The purpose of this study is to monitor the results of Quantiferon testing for TB. This test is utilized during international screening and is important for the detection of active/latent TB. False positive results can be an issue and the rate of positivity will be monitored.
Expected Results: 5-14-13
- Reviewed sample collection technique with all laboratory staff. Samples must be shaken immediately after collection and should be drawn gray, red, purple in order.
- Tubes are now incubated in 37 degree incubator.
- The incubation time was reviewed and found to be acceptable. (16 -24 hours)
- Sent staff member to ASCLS spring meeting for QFT presentation by Dr. Richard Clark.
- Laboratory manager met with Qiagen Cellestis representative (company that makes QFT assay) to discuss concerns. It was discovered that 2 lot numbers of tubes were reported by outside labs to show increase in positive rates; however, studies by the R&D team were unable to recreate the issue. UHS lab began tracking lot numbers in LIS inventory.
- Benchmarking was conducted with other universities.
- In July 2012, an internal comparison study was conducted against T-spot, another interferon assay for TB. 100% agreement was found.
- September 2012, Based upon the LIS tracking system, it was determined that these lot numbers were not in lab inventory.
- Vicki Dugan, Leader
- Sharon Fong, Member
- Janet Nelson, Member
- Judith Novack, Member